[Avodah] free will vs hashgacha

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 03:28:16 PDT 2022

.
R' Joel Rich wrote:

> .... it occurred to me that given the butterfly effect God has
> a number of ways to ensure that an outcome he wants will occur
> and I wonder then what algorithm would he use to determine which
> one of those number of ways to get that specific result he would
> employ.

I note the use of singular nouns in the phrases "an outcome" and "which
one" and "that specific result", as if there is only one goal (or a small
set of goals) the God is aiming for. This goes directly against what I was
taught, that when God makes His plans, He considers ALL the outcomes and
results, even the very smallest of side effects and collateral results
which that plan will cause. "Butterfly effect" indeed! I am confident that
He chooses whichever plan will cause exactly those effects that He is
desirous of, and nothing that He does not want.

Unfortunately, I do not remember where I learned the above. For many years
I had thought it was derived from the very last pasuk in Tehillim 92:
"Tzuri v'lo avlasa bo - He is my Rock, and there is no crookedness in Him",
meaning that He will accomplish exactly what He wants to accomplish, with
precisely zero unexpected consequences. The classic example is that if
Hashem decides to punish or reward a particular individual, it will not
happen unless his family (and extended family, and community, and the world
at large) deserves the ripple effects which will result from that
punishment or reward.

Alas, I was unable to find this in the meforshim on Tehillim 92. Can anyone
suggest a different source?

Akiva Miller