[Avodah] Rabbis uphold woman's divorce, but deem her ex still married

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun May 8 13:27:17 PDT 2022

On Tue, Apr 05, 2022 at 12:56:46PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> When I read the article, the case seemed to be similar to the conversion I
> mentioned in my first paragraph: We'll believe what the guy says about
> himself, but he is powerless to change someone else's status. According to
> the article, the principle used by the beis din was actually "Shavyeh
> Anafsheh Haticha D'Issura", which might be slightly different in theory,
> but (I think) has the same effect in this case.

Palginan dibura might also have come up. And produces the same weirdly
inconsistent-seeming results as in the subject line.

As you write, though:
> Normally, and in this case too, I am very hesitant to believe that the
> press got all their facts straight...

So, without knowing the details, even if the end-results are the same,
either halachic mechanism could have been the cause.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 22nd day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   3 weeks and 1 day in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Chesed sheb'Netzach: Do I take control of the
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF               situation for the benefit of others?