[Avodah] Saviv vs S'chor S'chor

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 21 12:08:34 PDT 2022

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 09:25:51PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> My question is about the meaning of the single word "s'chor", and why does
> Onkelos double it so often. My wild guess is that "s'chor" indicates a mere
> circular motion, while "s'chor s'chor" indicates a complete circle...

I couldn't find a non-doubled use. Except as a verb, as in Bereishis
49:11.

I think Zev points to the answer without saying it outright. Once sechor
became the aramaic for selling or merchandise, perhaps Unqelus used
"around and around" to disambiguate.

IOW, perhaps not your suggestion of "partly around" vs "encircle" but
"merchandise" vs "encircle".

If you have a non-doubled use in Unqelus, it would help me.

Micha Berger                 The purely righteous do not complain about evil,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but add justice, don't complain about heresy,
Author: Widen Your Tent      but add faith, don't complain about ignorance,
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    but add wisdom.     - R AY Kook, Arpelei Tohar