[Avodah] Those Whose Halakhic Status Is Questionable

Toby Katz t613k at mail.aol.com
Sun Mar 6 00:41:41 PST 2022

On 6 Feb 2022 in Avodah Digest, Vol 40, Issue 9R' Akiva Miller
<akivagmiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have read many articles over the years...which
> talk about how traumatizing that event was [Churban Bayis Sheini]. And
> especially so, once the
> chachamim of the time realized that this was no 70-year blip like the first
> Churban, but that we were now in it for the long haul. And we are indebted
> to them for their foresight in engineering a new Judaism for the new era.

> This revision affected many areas of Torah. The one we encounter most
> frequently might be the replacement of korbanos with tefilah. This change,
> of course, was sanctioned by the pasuk "unshalma farim s'faseinu", but we
> are so accustomed to it that we forget (or perhaps never really
> appreciated) how revolutionary it was to those who lived through it....

The churban and the loss of the BHM'K was traumatizing but it's hard
to imagine that replacing korbanos with tefila was such a revolutionary
change. Davening was always part of Jews' daily life wherever they were,
whether they were visiting the BHM'K during shalosh regalim or at any
other time of the year or any other place. Just look at Chana's tefila,
look at the entire Sefer Tehilim, look at the numerous prayers recorded
throughout Tanach said by individuals in times of need.

--Toby Katzt613k at aol.com