[Avodah] Making an Eruv by Renting Reshus

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Mar 11 09:56:23 PST 2022

I want to float an answer of my own imagining to the question RYME asks
in AhS OC 382:2-3. (Recent AhS Yomi http://aishdas.org/ahs-yomi .) If the
gemara says that chazal made it difficult to make an eruv if there is a
non-Jew in the chatzeir because we don't want Yisraelim moving into the
same chatzer as a nakhriim -- shelma yilmod mima'asav. The question is,
how does renting the nakhri's rights to the chatzer solve the underlying
problem?

RYME has his own answer, see se'if 3. Here is the suggestion I want the
chevrah's feedback on:

The gemara says this rental is particularly complicated, because the
typical nakhri would assume you're trying to pull some kishuf on him. Even
if we take this broadly, the gemara is saying that the need for rental
weeds out nakhriim that don't trust us.

So, what if the point of the sekhirus is a way to distinguish between
nakhriim whose maasim are dangerous ones to be influenced by and possibly
learn, and those who are on the right page? What if Chazal were saying,
if you can work out a rental agreement with the guy, he isn't likely
enough to be a negative influence to warrant a gezeira against sharing
a chatzeir with him?

RYME gives an answer that well fits the gemara (62a) and Rashi ad loc --
that by making them do this deal every week (a matter Rashi raises),
they make staying there difficult.

But my suggestion could fit that too. It is only the nakhri who isn't
trusting us and is reticent to make the deal who would make the sekhirus
a weekly burden. And the nakhri whose behavior isn't so negative that
they would be a bad influence wouldn't make weekly problems out of it.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 The Maharal of Prague created a golem, and
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   this was a great wonder. But it is much more
Author: Widen Your Tent      wonderful to transform a corporeal person into a
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    "mensch"!     -Rav Yisrael Salanter