[Avodah] Mishloach Manos with Shemitta Produce

Prof. L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu Mar 10 09:51:23 PST 2022

>From https://ohr.edu/this_week/insights_into_halacha/9789

With Purim rapidly approaching in our Shemitta year, andwithSheviis produce now commonly commercially available, an important question is raised. Although we know that the Purim mitzvah of Mishloach Manos (sending food items to a friend) is intended to foster brotherhood and camaraderie, may one gift his friend produce with KedushasSheviis for Mishloach Manos? Alternatively, are these ‘holy fruits’ perhaps considered too ‘holy’ for such Purim use? Interestingly, there is no clear-cut solution to this Purim dilemma, and contemporary authorities are divided as to the halacha.

However, to properly understand the issues involved, some background is necessary.

See the above URL for a comprehensive treatment of this topic by Rabbi Yehudah Spitz.

YL