[Avodah] Copper and Silver Adanim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Feb 23 08:16:48 PST 2022

Something I noticed on the train while being maavir sedra. (Yes,
I should have seen it a couple of weeks ago. But then, there were
numerous years I have been missing this as well.)

When people design a building, if they aren't being symmetric, they put
most of the aesthetics in the facade. The fanciest columns, nice doors,
window frames, etc...

So it struck me when being maavir sedra that the adanim on the walls
are silver, but the ones on the pillars in front were copper.

Was there a simple aethetic reason, like what matched the masach fabric?

Was it a message being made by the contrarian-ness, such as the point of
the aesthetic was how it looks from the inside, not to a third party. Like
the way the pretty yeri'os were covered from the outside by oros eilim
me'adamim. Even if there was yet tachash on top, the sides were red and
the keruvim on most of the yerios were only visible from the inside. (A
bit must have hung over the masach in the front.)

And if so, what's the message? Being moved by aethetics is a human
thing. According to the Rambam, a consequence of the eitz hada'as is that
we can confuse pretty with good or important. "Ki tov ha'eitz lemaakhal,
veta'avah hu le'einayim, vevenchmad ha'eitz lehaskil" (from Bereishis 3:6)

Micha Berger                 "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
http://www.aishdas.org/asp    'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
Author: Widen Your Tent       'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                   - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l