[Avodah] measures

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 19:56:16 PST 2022

As part of the Gruss Kollel shiur with Rav Bednarsh, I asked about his
statement concerning why measures (in gzeirot) don’t change with changing
reality. He articulated three possible approaches:
The first was an extension of the Chazon Ish, who held that the definition
of treifa was fixed by the state of veterinary medicine at the end of the
200 years of Torah (Chazon Ish E"H Hilchot Ishut 27:20). I would add the
possibility that this approach could be a subset of a theory that even when
there are reasons given, a legal system may choose to decouple the reason
from the measure and therefore, even if the reason changes, the measure
stands.

The second approach is that when the rabbis gave a nigleh reason for the
measure there were also other nistar reasons that we’re not privy to,
therefore the measures don’t change

The third approach was that a properly constituted Sanhedrin would change
the measure. They wouldn’t frequently change because legal systems tend to
be conservative but when the reason changes the measures should change.

Guess which he likes, which I like and tell me which you like?

KT
Joel Rich