[Avodah] ev mlachim byad hashem

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Dec 16 12:24:08 PST 2021

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 03:52:02AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> In terms of practical application, does lev mlachim byad hashem have
> an impact on our actions or is it still we do our hishtadlut and HKBH
> controls the results?

First thing I would do is limit the meaning of the statement.

A number of rishonim struggle with "hikhbadti es libo" and what happened
to Par'oh's free will. Since Par'oh was Melekh Mitzrayim, it seem they
do not assume that "beyad Hashem" means that Hashem normally controls
their choices. Instead, the Rambam says losing access to teshuvah was
part of the punishment / consequence of Par'oh's level of sin. Ramban
and Seforno talk about the need to balance the convincing power of the
miracles of the makkos. Others speak of the historical need for Yetzias
Mitzrayim... But who says it's because he was a king?

There are less absolute ways for A to be under B's control. For example,
Hashem could guide a king's experience to change the plausibility of his
making certain choices. Like when you make a decision because you "just
happened" to overhear to people talking about something that triggered
a memory.

Free will is the choice to go left or right when in a place in the maze
where you have two choices. It isn't the ability to go through maze walls.
Nimshal: our free will doesn't include the choice of flying by flapping
my arms.

One of the differences between a king and a commoner is that kings
decide fates of nations. Commoners can do, but it's not our norm. So,
far more of what a king does is subject to hashgachah kelalis, not only
hashgachah peratis.

(And, perhaps the statement has shades of grey -- the more one is a
leader, the more one's heart is in His control)

Then there is the question of prayer: If Hashem will do gam zu letovah
either way, can baqashos actually change the outcome? Sometimes the
answer is "yes" because the challenge was to illicit the baqashos
("mipenei sheHQBH nis'aveh lesfilasan shel tzadiqim"), to motivate you
to turn to Him.

So, why try to fight a king with a bad plan? Maybe the whole point of
the crisis is to push you to fight for what's right. And once you do,
the point of continuing the challenge evaporates.

Oh, and while universal hashgachah is the dominant belief now -- whether
the Ramchal's, Baal Shem Tov's or the Gra's version -- it doesn't mean
that people believe it trumps free will. After all, the causality is less
like a chain than like chain mail. Every event comes from a convergance
of factors, and regardless of what I try, whether or not I accomplish
what I intended depends on all those other causes. I can only try,
success is in His hands. And so, there can be hashgachah on what yenem
experiences regardless of what I plan and try to do to him.

Micha Berger                 It's never too late
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   to become the person
Author: Widen Your Tent      you might have been.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                    - George Eliot