[Avodah] ev mlachim byad hashem

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Dec 15 06:54:08 PST 2021

On 14/12/21 22:52, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> In terms of practical application, does lev mlachim byad hashem have an
> impact on our actions or is it still we do our hishtadlut and HKBH
> controls the results?

I would say "lev melachim" is why tefilla, teshuva, tzedaka, taanis,
etc. are appropriate in such cases.  Without it we might say that while
in most cases we rely on Hashem for help and then we do our hishtadlus
to create a natural way for that help to come about, in a case involving
lev melachim there is no point in asking Hashem for help, since the king
has bechira and therefore kiveyachol it is not biydei shamayim to help
us.  We should rely primarily on shtadlanus and only ask Hashem for help
along the way, e.g. that our plane should make it safely to its
destination, that we can put together a suitable  bribe, etc.  Or maybe
we should only pray that the king should die and a better king succeed
him.  Lev Melachim tells us that kings don't have true bechira, and
therefore we should treat political troubles the same way we do natural
ones, relying primarily on Hashem and using hishtadlus only as a channel
for His help.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone health, wealth, and
zev at sero.name       happiness in 5782