[Avodah] Repeating during davening

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 03:20:45 PST 2021

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 9:12 PM allan.engel--- via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong (and that's not an infrequent occurrence) but there
> are two reasons to be concerned about repetition.
>
> a) Where the words repeated are the problem, and the concern is the
> suspicion (or the actuality) of Avoda Zara.or Shituf (eg Modim Modim).
>
> b) In a part of davening where repetition would be considered a Hafsakah.

I would add to a): where the repeated words taken at face value give a new
distorted meaning. For example, one often hears in Shabbat Musaf "Yismehu
bemalkutkha shomrei shomrei shomrei Shabbat", which makes me want to ask
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"