[Avodah] Repeating during davening

Michael Poppers michaelpoppers at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 19:05:33 PST 2021

To RADE's excellent response in Avodah V39n99, I just wanted to add an
example of what I would label hypercorrection, in the sense of avoiding
repetition when it's intentional.  In *nusach Ashk'naz*, the Q'dushah of
Musaf on Shabbos v'YT starts each ShaTZ section w/ the last word of the
given *pasuq*: the section after "Qadosh...K'vodo" begins w/ "K'vodo"; the
section after "Baruch...Mimqomo" begins w/ "Mimqomo"; ...and yes, the
section after "Shma...Echad" begins w/ "Echad" (e.g. see "Siddur Avodas
Yisrael," https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=42807&st=&pgnum=256) --
many communities, but not all, elide that "Echad" out of a "Modim
Modim"-type concern, but the comparison is improper, as no *oveid avodah
zarah* would say "Echad" to each of multiple entities.

All the best from
*Michael Poppers* * Elizabeth, NJ, USA