[Avodah] titanu (You let us wander)

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 21 11:14:15 PST 2021

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 09:38:25PM -0500, elazar teitz via Avodah wrote:
> Aside from the difficulty of "You let us wander" not being confession to an
> aveira, it would seem that the CA's interpretation is open to question on
> grammatical grounds.  The root for "wander" is tav-ayin-hei, while "leading
> astray" has the root tav-ayin-tav-ayin, as in Yaakov's argument to Rivka in
> B'reishis 27:12; and it is the latter root which appears in the Viduy...

Maybe more of a question for Mesorah, but... What would the shoresh of
a tav-ayin-tav-ayin word be in an exclusively Three Letter Root system?

IE explaines kimsa'teia' there as "kaful, mgezeriras to'eh" like a person
who causes another to err. And HaKesav vehaQabbalah, "migezeiras to'eh,
and the pei and ayin [of the shoresh] are doubled..."

So I am not sure the difference is all that stark. Maybe it is more that
"stray" and "err" are farther apart than each's closest Hebrew equivalent.

Micha Berger                 What we do for ourselves dies with us.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   What we do for others and the world,
Author: Widen Your Tent      remains and is immortal.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                      - Albert Pine