[Avodah] Mar Cheshvan

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Oct 11 20:48:25 PDT 2021

On 11/10/21 5:38 pm, cantorwolberg via Avodah wrote:
> I’m well aware of the explanation for why we say Mar before announcing Cheshvan.

*The* explanation?!   *The* explanation, the *only* correct explanation,
is that the month's name is Merachshevan, which is commonly pronounced
Marcheshvan because it's easier, and "Cheshvan" is merely a shorthand
slang term.  All other "explanations" may sound nice and even teach nice
lessons, but they are not actually true.  It has nothing to do with
"mister", or "bitter", or "droplet".

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone health, wealth, and
zev at sero.name       happiness in 5782