[Avodah] Mar Cheshvan

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Oct 11 18:01:45 PDT 2021

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 05:38:30PM -0400, cantorwolberg via Avodah wrote:
> I'm well aware of the explanation for why we say Mar before announcing
> Cheshvan.

Except it is "omly" a derashah. As is the one thqt associated "mar"
with the first "drop" of water of the Mabul that fell in this month.

The historical reason the month is called Marcheshvan is because that
is it's name. "Cheshvan" is the effect of someone mistakenly thinking
those derashos were actual peirushim.

Akkadian differs from Hebrew and Aramaic in that the role of mem and of
vav and yud are swapped. So, the Hebrew "yareiach shemini" (eighth month)
is "Marach Shewan" in Babylonia. The minth is simply Semitic for Oct
+ ober.

Micha Berger                 The purely righteous do not complain about evil,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but add justice, don't complain about heresy,
Author: Widen Your Tent      but add faith, don't complain about ignorance,
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    but add wisdom.     - R AY Kook, Arpelei Tohar