[Avodah] Fwd: Rabbi Mordechai Willig - Rabbinic Error

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Aug 15 13:52:54 PDT 2021

Interesting... R Mordechai Willing goes beyond emunas chakhamim on
halakhah and religious guidance and into daas Torah territory in a
defense of turning to gedolei Torah. Even cites RYBS in favor.

His focus, though is on defending the idea in the presence of other
gedolei Torah who made such fundamental errors during Corona. Basically,
that's not your problem; find a rav you personally can trust.

    Rabbinic error, then, can be responsible for the loss of life r"l.
    Whatever the reason, we must learn the bitter lesson and be vigilant...

    In the absence of the Sanhedrin, there is no majority rule amongst
    gedolim. One can choose a gadol, or his disciple, as his rav (see
    Pillars). In communal matters, the greatest gedolim should be our
    guides, in strictly halacha as well as in halachic policy decisions.
    Recent gedolim, from the Chazon Ish (Pe'er HaDor vol. 5 p. 52,53) to Rav
    Soloveitchik, (Yalkut Hamoadim p. 711, Divrei Hagos V'Ha'arach, p.187)
    have expressed this notion (even though they differ in their reaction
    to those who only defer to gedolim on strictly halachic matters.)

    Notwithstanding rabbinic fallibility, obeying the rulings and advice
    of one's rav is the better alternative, as the Chinuch teaches. May
    we learn these lessons and thereby merit the return of the Sanhedrin
    with the coming of the Mashiach.

(Anyone want to share with the chevrah scans of those mar'eh meqomos?
If you email me pictures, can put them up on aishdas.org and share
the URLs.)