[Avodah] Even More on Secular Studies and Yeshiva Eduacation

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jul 14 08:50:16 PDT 2021

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 12:09:46PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> In other words this was a bediavad solution, an eis laasos, because parents
> were refusing to send their sons to a proper cheder.  If not for that they
> would never have done it.  And where there are parents willing to send their
> sons to a proper cheder, the lesson from this story is that there should be
> one for them to send to.

Agreed. But it is also after ghettoization. And thus has little to do
with proving or disproving RSRH's claim that our norm was once otherwise,
and it's only ghettoes that forced us from a more worldly worldview
and education.

(Which is the aspect of the original Areivim conversation I brought here
to Avodah.)

Recall that we are talking about a period before the Ari and before
Chassidus. Many of the givens someone from some communities today might
think are obvious weren't revealed or lived-by yet.

Micha Berger                 Zion will be redeemed through justice,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   and her returnees, through righteousness.
Author: Widen Your Tent
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF