[Avodah] We Were Like Grasshoppers

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Jun 1 08:33:12 PDT 2021

On 1/6/21 11:22 am, Micha Berger wrote:
>> Because 12 locusts is hardly a swarm.  12 locusts against one giant is
>> hardly a contest.

> And people are hardly locusts. So why insist on 12?

They're saying how they felt, and how the locals perceived them (which
they [claim to] know because they [claim to have] overheard them saying
so).

> I am just noting that "and we were like ants" wouldn't have that
> ambiguity

1. Ants can also swarm.  Soldier ants.
2. Are ants even mentioned in the chumash?  We know Mishlei had ants on
his mind, and had a word for them, but were they a thing in ancient
Egypt?  Not did they physically exist, but were they significant enough
to be part of the culture?  Were Bnai Yisrael of the midbar so familiar
with them that they would have come to mind as readily as grasshoppers
or beetles?

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a healthy summer
zev at sero.name