[Avodah] We Were Like Grasshoppers

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 1 08:22:25 PDT 2021

On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 01:40:55AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
>> So, how does "we looked like locusts" an apt turn of phrase for
>> defeatests?

> Because 12 locusts is hardly a swarm.  12 locusts against one giant is
> hardly a contest.

And people are hardly locusts. So why insist on 12?

I am just noting that "and we were like ants" wouldn't have that
ambiguity inherent in naming an insect that actually can harm a giant --
by starvation. So, why chagavim?

For that matter, the devastating (and kosher) chagavim are desert locusts,
and come in from Egypt -- the same direction the meraglim were.

Micha Berger                 Every second is a totally new world,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   and no moment is like any other.
Author: Widen Your Tent              - Rabbi Chaim Vital
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF