[Avodah] Rambam Prophesy

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu May 27 16:48:38 PDT 2021

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 05:58:08PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
>> There is no "horaas shaah" exceptions, because according to the Rambam,
>> the topic of who is a navi isn't one of hora'ah, but of metaphysical
>> causality. Anyone who sufficiently aligns their intellect (including
>> their Dei'os) with Truth will experience the outflow from the Active
>> Intellect.

> Surely the Rambam doesn't deny that Hashem *can* grant nevu'ah even to
> someone who is naturally incapable of it, just as He can make an eyeless
> person see, etc.  Perhaps he says that he is unaware of any instance of Him
> doing so; neither am I....

He doesn't say that as much as spell out how nevu'ah works without
mentioning it.

The usual case case -- someone aligns their intellect with the Active
Intellect through Knowing HQBH, and then they get the overflow that
ensues.

Except there is a miraculous case -- Hashem preventing that nevu'ah.

If Tanakh had cases of nevu'ah without prep, I would have expected a
listing for that as well.

Speaking of rishonim whose models don't seem to fit Tanakh, what about
the Kuzari (book 2) and Amos. The Kuzari says only born Jews are capable
of nevu'ah, but...

Micha Berger                 Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,
Author: Widen Your Tent      and it flies away.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                          - Rav Yisrael Salanter