[Avodah] Rambam Prophesy

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu May 27 14:58:08 PDT 2021

On 27/5/21 5:12 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
>> Are you referring to temporary prophets such as Lavan?
>> My own sense from Tanach is that Rambam's claim is not inconsistent with
>> Tanach, with a few "horaah shaah" exceptions.

> There is no "horaas shaah" exceptions, because according to the Rambam,
> the topic of who is a navi isn't one of hora'ah, but of metaphysical
> causality. Anyone who sufficiently aligns their intellect (including
> their Dei'os) with Truth will experience the outflow from the Active
> Intellect.

Surely the Rambam doesn't deny that Hashem *can* grant nevu'ah even to
someone who is naturally incapable of it, just as He can make an eyeless
person see, etc.  Perhaps he says that he is unaware of any instance of
Him doing so; neither am I.  But if he were to come across such an
instance he would have been able to write it off as a "hora'at sha'ah",
and thus he would not have to abandon his general view.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a healthy summer
zev at sero.name