[Avodah] Shir HaShirim 4:5

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon May 10 14:10:09 PDT 2021

On 10/5/21 9:51 am, Jay F. Shachter via Avodah wrote:
>   I have been trying for 25 days to figure it out myself.

No, you haven't. If you had been, you wouldn't have gone on at such
length about the obvious explanation; you'd merely have briefly said why
you couldn't believe that was it, and therefore why you remained puzzled.

> The only explanation I can come up with (God Almighty please tell me
> that I am wrong) is that this man is saying "cover your udders", and
> mispronouncing it.

Not mispronouncing, just misspelling.  And it's the Areivim poster doing
that, not the original speaker.

I have no idea whether this story is true, but knowing whom it's about I
have little trouble believing it.  And no, this isn't a flattering story
about him.  But balanced against that is all the Torah he taught and the
Torah edifice he built afterwards.  He did what many politicians wish
they could do: he fired his public and got a new public who appreciated
and adored both the content he delivered and the style in which he
delivered it.

He`emid talmidim harbeh, and even now, more than two decades after his
passing, people are still learning his Torah and hopefully are improving
themselves at least a little from it.   I include myself among that
number; I regularly read his words of wisdom, as interpreted and
published by his talmidim, and I have gained what seem to me to be
several useful insights from him.  But sometimes something grates a bit;
once in a while there's a sentiment I can't agree with, or one I wish
he'd phrased differently.  Nu, nu. Maybe he was wrong in those
instances; or maybe I'm wrong.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a healthy summer
zev at sero.name