[Avodah] More on Nowadays, there is no 'pope' in Jewish life

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Apr 26 15:25:39 PDT 2021

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 05:55:13PM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
> At 05:16 PM 4/26/2021, Micha Berger wrote:
> > RYMhK didn't say Berikh Shemeih when the Torah is taken out.
>
> I assume that RYMhK is the Chofetz Chaim.

R Yisrael Meir haKohein is the Chafeitz Chaim, yes. A couple of lines
earlier I did refer to him as R Yisrael Meir Kagan. (Which was pronounced
Kahan, just there is no "H" in the Cyrillic alphabet. So they use a "Ge",
which looks like a gamma. In Lithuanian, they'd put a tilde over the
"ge" to transliterate an /h/ sound.)

> Nusach Frankfurt does not say Berich Shemeh,  and there are good reasons why
> no one should say it. Indeed, I do not think that anyone should say it.
> See  https://web.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/brich_shmei.pdf

The CC's reason was that he thought announcing "ana avda deQBH" is
hubris. Listed on the last page of that PDF besheim the CC as #6 (of
13).

Micha Berger                 Today is the 29th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   4 weeks and 1 day in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Chesed sheb'Hod: When is submitting to another
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                     an act of kindness?