[Avodah] Having a Posek of One's Own (Was Is it permissible to listen to an acapella music CD during sefira?)

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Wed Apr 21 06:02:36 PDT 2021

At 06:43 PM 4/20/2021, Micha Berger wrote:
>Just a general reminder that Ask-the-Rabbi articles are nowhere near
>as valuable as actually having a poseiq of one's own. "Asei lekha rav"!

I think this statement requires modification and elaboration to read
"having a qualified (or competent) posek of one's own."

Rav Shimon Schwab, ZT"L, says that a Torah scholar must have secular
knowledge.  See
<https://web.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/these_and_those.pdf>These
<https://web.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/these_and_those.pdf>and
Those  beginning on page 13.

Also,  I doubt that one will find any rov who is competent to pasken
ALL sheilos.  At times,  very specialized knowledge is required that
most rabbonim do not have.

YL