[Avodah] Is it permissible to listen to an acapella music CD during sefira?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 20 15:43:36 PDT 2021

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 12:50:19PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> From today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

> Q. Is it permissible to listen to an acapella music CD during sefira?

> A. Rav Belsky, zt'l was of the opinion that there is no difference
> between a professionally recorded acapella CD that sounds like music
> and a regular CD with musical instruments...

This doesn't really answer the question, though. It's one rav's pesaq,
and the reader's LOR may not hold like RYB.

But RMF (IM OC 1:166) speaks only of a ban on instrumental music.

The Be'eir Heitiv (493 s"q2) says the MA and Chavos Ya'ir hold that
riqud and mecholos are assur. Implying, music without such additions
would be okay.

Just a general reminder that Ask-the-Rabbi articles are nowhere near
as valuable as actually having a poseiq of one's own. "Asei lekha rav"!

Then there are shitos that permit listening to music when alone, or more
generally when it's not in the context of celebration. Like background
music in the car. Not directly relevent to a capella, but that is likely
when that CD is being listened to.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 23rd day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   3 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Gevurah sheb'Netzach: How does my domination
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                          stifle others?