[Avodah] May I purchase chametz after Pesach from any non-Jewish owned store?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Apr 6 08:15:32 PDT 2021

On 6/4/21 2:26 am, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> I would suspect that you might be correct but the circumstances today
> or such that it is well known in the United States that there are
> large Jewish owned distributors and so it’s like raglayim ladavar
As far as I know the only one big enough to qualify as raglayim ladavar
is C&S, which AIUI sells its chametz through our own REMT.

I've also seen it suggested that even so one must worry about where the
distributor got its chametz, and where that person got it, etc.  To me
this seems a clear application of im kein ein ladavar sof.  Surely uki
davar al chezkaso; it is now bechezkas the non-Jew, so we should presume
there is no problem unless and until we have evidence otherwise. We
shouldn't have to go looking for it.

A possible comparison is RMF's theory that the gezera of chalav nochri
was made only on the last nochri in the chain of custody, and therefore
if we have eidus (or certainty so clear that it is the equivalent of
eidus) that he did not tamper with the milk then we needn't concern
ourselves with any of the previous owners, even if we know that they had
no supervision and every opportunity to tamper with it.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end