[Avodah] Can Egg Matzah Be Used for Lechem Mishna?

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 13:44:52 PDT 2021

.
R' Yitzchok Levine quoted the OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

<<< Rav Schachter says that if one has egg matzah that they know was made
with grape juice (matzah ashira according to all opinions) it may be eaten
in the afternoon for shalosh seudos, up until 3 hours (sha’os zmaniyos)
before Yomtov. >>>

I don't understand. Is there a machlokes about the definition of matzah
ashira? If I have egg matzah that was made with *apple* juice, is it matza
ashira only according to *some* opinions?

Do other ingredients affect this? I have always presumed that all kinds of
Matza Ashira are a subset of Pas Habaa Bkisnin, excluding any and all
Chometz. In other words, flour and whatever you want except water. Am I
mistaken? Is the definition more complicated than that?

(Note: I was surprised to find such a wide variety of recipes for egg
matza. (We had a large crowd on Erev Pesach, so I bought 4 different boxes
so people could sample the different flavors.) Streit's has apple cider and
eggs. Aviv Egg Matzah has apple juice, egg, and sugar. Aviv Egg & Onion has
an unnamed "pure fruit juice" with sugar, onion powder and egg.
Manischewitz contains "pure apple or grape juice" and eggs.)

Akiva Miller