[Avodah] Jewish law has evolved

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Mar 23 12:28:39 PDT 2021

"Evolved" implies an improvement, to a form more adapted to survival and
therefore better.  The Jewish view of the way halacha has changed over
the years is one of devolution; both when we become more lenient because
we don't care as much, and when we become stricter because we need it to
correct our tendency to leniency, or because we have lost the knowledge
on which our ancestors' leniency depended ("ein anu beki'in").

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end