[Avodah] orthodox non-compliance with Covid rules

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Mar 23 07:29:12 PDT 2021

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 11:06:44PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> A good starting point for sources is the lengthy footnote 158a in Rabbi
> Dovid Ribiat's "Halachos of Pesach". For example, he tells of Rav Yosef
> Eliyahu Henkin, whose mechira included the chometz of people who forgot or
> were unable to authorize the sale themselves (but only on condition that
> they would at least arrive to Rav Henkin before plag hamincha).

> So there *is* precedent to say that Zachin L'adam Shelo B'fanav works for
> Mechiras Chometz, and even if someone feels that the logic is weak...

I did't have that big of a problem with the idea of invoking ZlASbF,
where the person wasn't going to get hana'ah from the chameitz. Like
the people going to RYEH last minute before Pesach. Or my example of
someone in a coma.

But if people are alive and well and keeping their chameitz around and
don't even know it is sold, it isn't a pure zekhus to sell it. They want
their chameitz to use it.

So, I don't think this precedent addresses my discomfort with the idea.

Micha Berger                 Never must we think that the Jewish element
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   in us could exist without the human element
Author: Widen Your Tent      or vice versa.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                   - Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch