[Avodah] orthodox non-compliance with Covid rules

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 20:06:44 PDT 2021

.
I wrote about an

R' Micha Berger wrote:

> I don't see how the letter of the law says the sale is chal without the
> da'as of the maqneh.

A good starting point for sources is the lengthy footnote 158a in Rabbi
Dovid Ribiat's "Halachos of Pesach". For example, he tells of Rav Yosef
Eliyahu Henkin, whose mechira included the chometz of people who forgot or
were unable to authorize the sale themselves (but only on condition that
they would at least arrive to Rav Henkin before plag hamincha).

So there *is* precedent to say that Zachin L'adam Shelo B'fanav works for
Mechiras Chometz, and even if someone feels that the logic is weak, I'm not
going to be the one who says that the Rabbanut is wrong for choosing to do
it.

Akiva Miller