[Avodah] early maariv

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 22 09:55:48 PDT 2021

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 07:20:30AM +0000, Aryeh Frimer via Avodah wrote:
>     It must be reiterated that no preparations or Melaka can be done
> until Shabbat is over (Tseit haKokhavim). Only then can Yom Tov candles
> be lit and the seder begin.

This is generally what one hears as pesaq. And I understand warning
people not to forget that melakhah is prohibited, even for the seder.
(The RBSO also had to remind us that melakhah is prohibited even for the
Miskan.) But I don't get reason for saying no hakhanah.

I would think that since the seder (or any se'udas Yom Tov) is a devar
mitzvah, a shevus, such as hakhanah, would be allowed during bein
hashemashos. (Assuming no melakhah is involved.)

I found some sources when we discussed this back in v33n46.
https://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol33/v33n046.shtml#01

The Rambam (Shabbos 254:10), MB 211:28, 30, AhS OC 261:11 (who allows
"lidevar mitzvah o tzorekh harbei", arguably not delaying the seder is
both.)

So I don't know why "everyone" bans setting the table, getting the
pillows and kitls out, etc..., until tzeis. It seems to me that the
MB and AhS would agree you could start at sheqi'ah.

Of course, I'm no poseiq. Just wondering about the gap between what I
learned and the generally repeated pesaq.

Micha Berger                 A pious Jew is not one who worries about his fellow
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   man's soul and his own stomach; a pious Jew worries
Author: Widen Your Tent      about his own soul and his fellow man's stomach.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                     - Rav Yisrael Salanter