[Avodah] Meshech Chochma on kedusha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 15 15:07:48 PDT 2021

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 10:10:39AM +0000, Ben Bradley via Avodah wrote:
> 'Who is bringing the Torah into the world? Is EY qadosh because it is
> the subject of extra mitzvos? Or is it qadosh because we do those
> mitzvos?

I think
>     ... ein benivra qedushah be'etzem
>     raq mitzad shemiras Yisrael haTorah
>     kefi Retzon haBorei yisbarakh shemo haqadosh...

Yes, this requires that the Borei actually commands them. But it's
not quite what I would consider a partnership. G-d "participates" in
the sense that according to R Meir Simchah haKohein qedushah is about
the Inyan E-loki. The proximate cause is us; we are the only means of
bringing that G-dliness into a place or object.

R Yitzchak Blau has a lecture on Gush's VBM entitled
"Sanctity in the Thought of R. Meir Simcha" at
https://www.etzion.org.il/en/sanctity-thought-r-meir-simcha

He has more examples there of the MC making statements about qedushah
to this effect than I was researching. I was on Shemos 12:21 "mishkhu
uqechu" when I found that RYB's lecture. Here's what I was open to:
    Vehinei yeish leha'arikh,
    shekol meqomos hamuqdashim ein YESODAM min hadas
    raq meiha'umah
    vehasharashim

"Yesodam" is underlined in my MC.

As he continues, all the das, the religious texts say is "the place where
Hashem will choose." It's the places history as the place from where Adam
was created and where Yitzchaq was ne'eqad that gives it qedushah. We
don't identify a holy location by das, we identify it from the people.

Also, "Raq Y-m vekhol EY veHar haMoriah benuyim al hisyachasum
la'avoseinu".

Micha Berger                 With the "Echad" of the Shema, the Jew crowns
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   G-d as King of the entire cosmos and all four
Author: Widen Your Tent      corners of the world, but sometimes he forgets
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    to include himself.     - Rav Yisrael Salanter