[Avodah] hashgacha pratis

mcohen at touchlogic.com mcohen at touchlogic.com
Mon Mar 8 07:24:20 PST 2021

The question (machlokes) if a person's free will allows them to act
independently/against Hashems HP has been discussed here many times.

I found the following post to be a very insightful and practical nafaka
mina between those opinions
http://daattorah.blogspot.com/2021/03/rape-does-g-d-want-someone-to-be-raped.html#disqus_thread

    A young lady once came to me for a theological consultation. This
    poised cheerful woman told me that when she was 10 she had been raped
    by two young yeshiva students at a religious summer camp. As a result
    of this incident she went into severe depression, became suicidal,
    and was finally placed in a mental hospital for an extended time. She
    said that baruch hashem, she had recovered and was no longer depressed
    or obsessed with revenge. Her visit was precipitated by having just
    seen her assailants walking down the street in Geula in Jerusalem
    with their wives and children -- as if they had never done anything
    evil. She said there was only one issue left from her experience
    which she couldn't come to grips with -- Why did G-d want her to be
    raped?" All the rabbis she had consulted with told her that it was
    G-d's will and that while they couldn't explain it that it must have
    been good and necessary. She just had to accept it as G-d's will. Her
    problem was that she couldn't accept that she worshipped a G-d that
    wanted this horrible thing to happen. I answered her that she was
    being told the dominant Chassidic/kabbalistic view. However I told
    her that [other] the Rishonim had a different view, i.e., that it
    is possible for a man to choose to hurt another -- even though G-d
    doesn't want it to happen. That she will be compensated in the Next
    World for her suffering but that G-d didn't cause it to happen. She
    was able to accept that view.