[Avodah] Soft Matzah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 15 14:13:38 PDT 2021

We discussed this topic around 15 years ago. I ended up asking R Herschel
Schachter.

He brought proof from the Rama that Ashkenazim weren't making cracker-like
matzos in his day. So of course the concept isn't a problem.

(That said, I opened the question asking about a specific bakery which
had just started taking on-line orders. So RHS reminded me that he
hasn't looked at that bakery. While he can say the idea has no problems,
he had no idea if the hekhsher checking the implementation is reliable.)

You may recall that one of our more active members at the time was making
wrap- or more accurately tortilla-like matzos. (Wraps usually contain
yeast, and tortillas usually don't.) So the discussion got quite lively.

I learned something else interesting in that discussion. Tortillas and
wraps are usually made from dough (belila avah). But they are sometimes
made from batter (belila raqa). In which case, they would be mezonos,
even if you are qoveia se'udah on a stack of them. So, check the label!

Micha Berger                 A person lives with himself for seventy years,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   and after it is all over, he still does not
Author: Widen Your Tent      know himself.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                          - Rav Yisrael Salanter