[Avodah] Reciting Hamotzi at a Simcha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Mar 7 08:15:03 PST 2021

On Sat, Mar 06, 2021 at 07:46:47PM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:
>> And that means an unnecessary pause between washing and eating the bread.
>> As well as puzzled people upset you didn't answer their greating.

> Question for you.  Most people do not have a wash sink in their
> dining room.  They wash for Hamotzi on Shabbos in the kitchen and
> then they walk to the dining room,  sit down, and make Hamotzi.

You went from having someone choose a delay over making HaMotzi over a
piece rather than a whole bread to asking why people accept any delay
at all. My point was that it isn't an either or -- you can have HaMotzi
on a shaleim at the washing station.

This situation differs from what I wrote in two ways:

1- First, you set up a situation where the pause is far less avoidable.
Not the "unnecessary" pause of returning to your table from the washing
station when the caterer put bread cubes there to make HaMotzi on which
you choose not to use in order to make the berakhah on a shaleim.

Besides, sometimes, people can't even know which seat they want until
more people entered, they don't want a long line at the washing station
and want to wash before the crowd, so they are hunting for a spot after
HaMotzi.

2- When you wash for HaMotzi on Shabbos, everyone is up to the same
part of the meal. People know that others are between washing and
HaMotzi. People at a simchah have a wide variety of start times. The
odds that you are greeted and might reply, or they might not understand
why you aren't replying, are significant.

Micha Berger                 Like a bird, man can reach undreamed-of
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   heights as long as he works his wings.
Author: Widen Your Tent      But if he relaxes them for but one minute,
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    he plummets downward.   - Rav Yisrael Salanter