[Avodah] May one add matzah meal or pieces of bread to a

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jan 28 14:04:53 PST 2021

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 07:36:43PM -0500, David Riceman via Avodah wrote:
>>> 1. It is a din. In other words the halacha states that cooking in a kli
>>> sheini is not called cooking...

>> Brisk.

>>> 2. It is a metzius, the gemara is telling us an empirical fact, that in
>>> general a kli sheini doesn't cook.

>> Telzh.

> Or 3: it is a convention. Bishul on Shabbos is how people normally cook
> (IIRC RMF suggests this in one of his tshuvos)...

I would think that's a metzi'us question, but defining the issur in terms
of derekh bishul rather than bishul. That certainly fits the gemara's
language, except for the one-word name of the melakhah.

In terms of Brisk vs Telzh.... It would still fit under Telzh, in that
it's explaining halakhah in terms of realia. Brisk would stop all
explanations at halachic categories. More like the "halakhah states
... is not called ..." of number 1.

Micha Berger                 Imagine waking up tomorrow
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   with only the things
Author: Widen Your Tent      we thanked Hashem for today!
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF