[Avodah] Names of Months

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 08:30:39 PDT 2021

Have a look at the AhSh in Even haEzer 126:17 (2nd half) where he battles
with the source of the name Marcheshvan.

Online at
https://www.sefaria.org.il/Arukh_HaShulchan%2C_Even_HaEzer.126.17

(Interestingly enough, in 126:19 he says there's a Kometz under these
months, Nison, Iyor, Sivon, Marcheshvon, Shvot, Ador.)

Kol Tuv

- Danny

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020, R' Brent Kaufman wrote:
>> Now that the ancient pantheons of gods have been brought up, can anyone
>> give an explanation for why the we name our months after Babylonian gods?

RMB replied:
> Of the ones we know translations for, only Tammuz. Warach Dumuzu means
"the month of [the god] Tammuz".

> This month, Warach Samnu, which becomes Marcheshvan when mem and yud/vav
swap during the borrowing, simply means "8th month".