[Avodah] Making Tea on Shabbos

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Fri Jan 15 08:07:27 PST 2021

Shabbos I received the following query:

I have seen many people use a tea bag in a Kli
Shelishi on Shabbos. Is this Allowed???

From
<https://www.torahmusings.com/2020/08/making-tea-and-coffee-on-shabbos/>https://www.torahmusings.com/2020/08/making-tea-and-coffee-on-shabbos/

Instant tea:

Some authorities permit using pre-cooked tea
leaves. For example, it would be permitted to
pour hot water onto the tea leaves before Shabbos
and then to pour more hot water onto the same dry
leaves to make tea on Shabbos. Some halachic
authorities [14] apply the rule that there is no
prohibition of cooking something that has already
been cooked completely. The Aruch Ha’Shulchan
[15] accepts this as well, but adds that when one
pre-cooks the tea before Shabbos, he must leave
the hot water on the tea for a while to make sure
that it is fully cooked. However, some halachic
authorities [16] forbid this practice because the
tea leaves are used purely to extract their
taste.  Therefore, as long as the tea leaves
continue to emit taste, they are not considered already cooked.

Keli Sheini and Keli Shelishi

As a general rule, a keli sheini (a secondary
vessel, not the one which was on the fire) does
not cook for Hilchos Shabbos purposes. [17]
Tosafos [18] explain that since a keli sheini was
never on the fire, its walls are cooler and it cannot cook.

However, if something is considered mi’kalei
ha’bishul (easy to cook), it will cook even in
a keli sheini. [19] The Ran, [20] Magen Avraham,
[21] Mishna Berura, [22] and R. Moshe Feinstein
[23] rule that we do not know what foods are
mi’kalei ha’bishul, and therefore we need to
be concerned that all foods fall into this
category unless explicitly excluded in the
Talmud. [24] According to this view, one is
forbidden to put tea leaves even in a keli
sheini, because they might be mi’kalei
ha’bishul. The Aruch Ha’Shulchan [25] is
certain that tea is mi’kalei ha’bishul.
However, the Chazon Ish [26] argues that one need
not be concerned that a given food is mi’kalei
ha’bishul unless an explicit source says that
it is. [27] R. Hershel Schachter writes that R.
Joseph B. Soloveitchik made tea in a keli sheini
because he did not consider tea leaves to be
mi’kalei ha’bishul, [28] and R. Schachter
himself rules this way as well. [29]

A keli shelishi (a tertiary vessel, from which
something was poured from a keli sheini) may
provide a solution to those who are concerned
that tea may cook in a keli sheini. Talmudic
sources do not mention such a concept, nor do
Rishonim (early authorities) distinguish between
keli sheini and keli shelishi. To the best of my
knowledge, the only Rishon who talks about a keli
shelishi is R. Eliezer of Metz, [30] who
explicitly says that a keli shelishi is the same
as a keli sheini. Nevertheless, many Achronim
(later authorities) [31] rule that a keli
shelishi does not cook even food that is
mi’kalei ha’bishul, or that one need not be
concerned that something is mi’kalei
ha’bishul when using a keli shelishi (but they
hold that in a keli sheini one should be
concerned). However, many halachic authorities
[32] disagree. The Chazon Ish [33] argues that
there is no basis to distinguish in theory
between a keli sheini and a keli shelishi.
However, he continues, there may be a practical
distinction: the Chayei Adam [34] rules that a
keli sheini that is extremely hot (yad nichveis
bo) will cook. Based on this, the Chazon Ish says
that we use a keli shelishi because by the time
the item has been transferred twice, it is
probably no longer as hot, and therefore one does
not need to be concerned for this opinion of the Chayei Adam. [35]

Making Tea Using Essence

Mishna Berura [36] states that the best way to
make tea on Shabbos is to make essence, meaning a
very strong tea, before Shabbos. When one wants
to drink tea on Shabbos, he can put hot water in
the cup, and then add the cold essence. This
solution works according to all views because
everyone agrees that water is not mi’kalei
ha’bishul and therefore will not cook in a keli sheini.
Let me add the caveat that the Jewish Press often
added when it came to matters of Halacha.  "One
should consult one's local competent Orthodox rabbi."

YL