[Avodah] Shemini Atzeres as a time for Hislamdus

Joseph Kaplan penkap at panix.com
Tue Oct 20 07:27:27 PDT 2020

Micha, responding to my comment on referring to the Rambam’s discussion of not teaching Torah to women in a post about hislamdus, wrote:
“ You cannot just edit the Yad. Once you edit primary texts, they aren't
primary anymore. You are no longer an evolution of the tradition, but
a revolution.”

I agree, of course. But nowhere did I suggest or imply that any text should be edited. Indeed, in my analogy to the difficult Twain text I said that a good  teacher would at the very least acknowledge the difficulty even if they don’t deal
with it in that particular discussion. That’s all I wanted Micha to do. Not “edit” (a word I never used or, quite frankly, thought about in this discussion) but at least acknowledge (if not discuss). I never mind anyone  disagreement with anything I say or write. But please don’t disagree with me about things I didn’t say.
Joseph

Sent from my iPhone