[Avodah] It's 10PM

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 19:10:45 PDT 2020

.
R' Joel Rich quoted the Igros Moshe O"C 2:105, and asked:

> I was wondering whether r' moshe would've said the same thing had
> he known the impact of koshering 10 pm slichot in the MO community

You are presuming that he did NOT know the impact of his psak. I suspect
that he *was* aware. After all, the teshuva you cited was dated Elul 5720
(1959); he had several decades afterward during which he could have
retracted his words or clarified them.

Second: What do you think he might have said differently? Look at the part
you quoted. He can't get much clearer than that. If you are upset about the
popularity of "10 pm slichot in the MO community", I don't think any of the
blame can be put on Rav Moshe. Rather, there must be other poskim that
people are relying on. (Anyone know who?)

Akiva Miller