[Avodah] If Asara B?Teives would fall on Saturday, the fast would be observed on Shabbos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 22 20:08:10 PST 2020

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 04:47:19PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> From today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis
> Q. The Beis Yosef (OC 550) quotes Sefer Avudraham ... that if Asara B'Teives would fall on Saturday, the fast would be observed on Shabbos....

Likely the BY, like most Sefaradim and many Ashkenazim, pronounced his
name correctly: Abu-Dirham or maybe Abu-Darham.

> In spite of this explanation, the Beis Yosef questions why Asara B'Teiveis
> is unique?

... according to the Avudraham. We can't even assume that is would the Mechaber
would hold if the question weren't hypothetical, because he is exploring one
particular shitah.

R Chaim Brown
http://divreichaim.blogspot.com/2020/12/would-we-fast-on-shabbos-for-10-teves.html
just blogged on this topic.

Rashi (Megillah 5a "aval", on the mishnah) explicitly says that not only
9 be'Av "me'achrin velo maqdimin", but 17 beTammuz and 10 beTeiveis as
well.
See https://www.sefaria.org/Megillah.5a.6?p2=Rashi_on_Megillah.5a.6.2

Micha Berger                 "Someday I will do it." - is self-deceptive.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   "I want to do it." - is weak.
Author: Widen Your Tent      "I am doing it." - that is the right way.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                 - Reb Menachem Mendel of Kotzk