[Avodah] If Asara B’Teives would fall on Saturday, the fast would be observed on Shabbos

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Dec 21 21:38:09 PST 2020

I very much doubt it.  It's all very well for the Avudraham to posit
this as an academic exercise, but if it were actually possible for it to
happen then I'm reasonably confident nobody would actually pasken that
way. Only because it's an impossible hypothetical do we amuse ourselves
by playing with the idea.

Until the modern calendar was established in the mid-4th century CE, the
tenth *could* fall on Shabbos, and yet there is no mention in the mishna
or gemara of such a halacha.  Also the Rambam, who lays down the halacha
for all times, not just modern times, mentions nothing of this.  He
doesn't even bother ruling against it; the idea that it could be so
simply never arises.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end