[Avodah] Neo-Chasidus Guitar Hallel in the Spotlight

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Dec 16 11:59:40 PST 2020

> A short time ago, I noticed a post at the Life in Israel
> blog<http://lifeinisrael.blogspot.com>, related to this. According to
> it, a dispute erupted after someone came into a minyan with a violin and
> started playing it during Hallel. Later on, they agreed to ask a ???? to
> a ???? ????? about it.  The question was posed to Rav Shlomo Aviner, a
> leading Dati-Leumi Rabbi, and he said that it should be
> avoided.<http://lifeinisrael.blogspot.com/2020/12/interesting-psak-musical-hallel.html>

As the blogger notes, there is something very odd about the story as
reported, and it's very likely not true.  It may be based on a true
story, but without knowing the true details one cannot draw any conclusions.

Legufo shel inyan, as I understand it one of the takanos made against
the Reformers, along with such things as requiring at least one row of
seats forward of the bimah, was to ban organ music in shul.  I think
some rabbonim now have no idea what an organ is, or what it signifies in
European culture, and have mistakenly extended this to all instruments.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end