[Avodah] Orthodox Union Guidance Regarding Coronavirus

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Fri Dec 18 10:17:03 PST 2020

 From

<https://together.ou.org/page/guidance?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=shsh%20Miketz%205781%20%281%29&utm_content=>https://together.ou.org/page/guidance?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=shsh%20Miketz%205781%20%281%29&utm_content=

<https://together.ou.org/page/guidance?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=shsh%20Miketz%205781%20%281%29&utm_content=>Guidance
Regarding COVID-19
Guidance Statements & Policies. December 15, 2020
11:45 AM EST. OU/RCA COVID-19 Vaccine Guidance.
The following is shared based on the guidance of
our poskim, Harav Hershel Schachter ùìéè”à and
Harav Mordechai Willig ùìéè”à, with the support of Harav Dovid Cohen ùìéè”à.
together.ou.org

There has long been an almost uniform consensus
among leading medical experts that vaccines are
an effective and responsible manner of protecting
life and advancing health. For over two hundred
years vaccinations have been responsible for the
dramatic reduction of many terrible diseases and
have significantly improved public health in our
country and around the world. For this reason,
the consensus of our major poskim (halachic
decisors) is to encourage us to use vaccinations
to protect ourselves and others from disease.

While this guidance of our poskim has addressed
vaccine usage generally, the introduction of the
novel COVID-19 vaccines required specific
reconsideration. The poskim recognize that the
COVID-19 vaccines have been developed with
unprecedented speed and are expected to be made
available under an Emergency Use Authorization
(EUA). In addition, the two currently leading
COVID-19 vaccine candidates are mRNA vaccines
which employ a new vaccine technology.

Notwithstanding these factors, the conclusion of
our poskim is that, pursuant to the advice of
your personal health care provider, the Torah
obligation to preserve our lives and the lives of
others requires us to vaccinate for COVID-19 as
soon as a vaccine becomes available.

See the above URL for more.

YL