[Avodah] Daas Chachamim Noachah Heimenu

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 27 03:50:00 PDT 2020

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 07:10:19PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> (I'd also translate "ein daas chachomim nocha meihem" less literally, as
> "Torah authorities do not approve of them", or even, riskily, "Daas Torah
> does not approve of them".)

I was always taught something along the lines of your first version.

I think it was R Yaakov Haber that I heard this from, but the idiom
could equally have been intended to me something more like (loosely)
"... isn't thinking with daas Torah".

I found the argument compelling enough to try to offer both translations.

Micha Berger                 Zion will be redeemed through justice,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   and her returnees, through righteousness.
Author: Widen Your Tent
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF