[Avodah] conservatism in davening

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 18:08:38 PDT 2020

.
In the thread "Davening at home on Yamim Nora'im", R' Arie Folger wrote:

> By the way,  this is a great time to introduce the proper
> recitation of certain popular piyutim that are generally paused
> wrong: Vekhol Maaminim, Ma'aseh E-loheinu, Imru l'E-lohim, Ata
> Hu E-loheinu.
>
> In all this cases,  a wrong "minhag" has established itself to
> read the latter half of one line with the former half of the next
> line,  always weirdly stopping in the middle. Or to use the
> opening refrain as a closing refrain. That's just plain wrong,
> so this is the year we can all train to adapt the time to the
> proper sentence structure,  so next year we break the bad habit.

I can see where some people might read the above, and feel that Rabbi
Folger is being subjective and arbitrary in his choices of "proper" and
"wrong". I had my brain all psyched up to spend the next hour or so writing
a post to explain how he is objectively correct, and then I remembered that
we covered this ground four years ago.

Anyone who wants to learn more about how the recitation of these piyutim
got messed up is strongly invited to review the thread "conservatism in
davening" at
https://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=C#CONSERVATISM%20IN%20DAVENING

Akiva Miller