[Avodah] Subject: Re: zoom minyan

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at mail.gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 03:40:33 PDT 2020

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 11:59 PM Danny Schoemann wrote:

> In [30] the Hag. Maimoniyos brings an interesting concept "in the name
> of a Gadol": Those Mitzvos which can cause an Aveiro, women don't do.
> E.g. Tefillin could cause "Erva" issues with her exposed hair, Shofar
> could cause carrying in a public domain.

What mitzva couldn't potentially cause an aveira, including ones which
women do aliba dekhulei alma? Bad timing in candle-lighting could cause
hillul shabbat.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 9:34 PM Micha Berger wrote:

> In general, the Rambam doesn't have women making berakhos on mitzvos
> that they are einum metzuvos ve'osos. Which Sepharadim hold today. To
> the extent that ROYosef's nusach doesn't have women saying sheim Hashem
> in birkhos Qeri'as Shema!

As I may have noted before, the general trend among Sepharadi aharonim is
to follow RT against the SA and Rambam, and say that women at least can,
and IIIRC davka _should_ make berachot on these mitzvot. ROY, kedarko
bakodesh, insists on following Maran.