[Avodah] Just walk away

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Jun 16 14:30:36 PDT 2020

On 16/6/20 8:33 am, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 06:07:38PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
>> What gives you the right to deprive him of this rare mitzvah, for which
>> Rabbi Akiva longed all his life, and which the Bet Yosef was promised and
>> then for some reason was deprived of?

> A person's priorities are my soul and his stomach.

True, but that doesn't apply here, where you're depriving him of
something he may very well want and treasure.

> Since I first heard the idiom from a chassidishe ruv, I am pretty sure
> it's exclusively a Mussarnik saying.

I heard it as "the other person's gashmius is my ruchnius".   But here
you're putting your ruchnius above his ruchnius.   Stealing a bracha is
worth 10 gold coins; how much is stealing a (literally) once in a
lifetime mitzvah?

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy summer
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper