[Avodah] Birchas HaShachar

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 9 11:40:56 PDT 2020

On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 09:31:46PM +0100, allan.engel at gmail.com wrote:
> And that is how the Rambam paskens.
> A nafka mina being, how can we say Shelo Asani Aved today?

First I thought of the countries where slavery is still going on, and
thinking of modifying your question to "in our time and place".

But then I realized that "aved" (or "eved", for our Sepharadi
participants) refers specifically to an eved kenaani owned by a
Jew. Someone who has more mitzvos than those covered by "shelo adani goy /
nakhri / nakhriah".

But in any case, when we were born is part of Hashem's choice of how to
create us. I could have been placed in an eved kenaani's body of 3,000
years ago, had Hashem "Thought" it appropriate. So why not the berakhah?

Micha Berger                 Nearly all men can stand adversity,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but if you want to test a man's character,
Author: Widen Your Tent      give him power.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                    -Abraham Lincoln