[Avodah] Street Minyanim

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon May 11 17:42:48 PDT 2020

A counter-point that I haven't seen discussed much, if at all: All the
sources being discussed are about trying to join together people inside
a building with people outside it, or even in another building.  But in
our case everyone is outside, in one large outdoor space, and they can
all see each other.

In the case where there are no mechitzos separating them it seems
obvious to me that of course they *can* join together, because on what
grounds would one say otherwise?  Just because the land they're standing
on is owned by different people?!  They're all in the same place, just
socially distanced.

Where there are mechitzos of 10 tefachim, there's no question that for
hilchos eruvin we consider them separate places. But the question is
where do we see that this matters for the purpose of tziruf minyan?  Who
says that just because they're in different *reshuyos* they are
therefore also in different *mekomos*?

And if we do say that, then even within a shul would we say that there
must not be a mechitzas esser between the members of a minyan?  Are
those standing on the bima, which is traditionally enclosed by a
mechitzas esser, not counted in the minyan?!

In some shuls the rav stands in his own enclosure, which is both ten
tefachim off the ground and also surrounded by a waist-high enclosure.
There are shuls where the custom for some reason seems to be that on
Friday nights the women sit in the main shul, separated from the men
only by an aisle and no mechitzah.  I once asked the rav of such a shul
how one can daven there and he told me that he considers his enclosure
to be a mechitza, so he can daven, and that those sitting in the main
shul, if they're halachically aware enough to be asking the question,
should indeed not daven.  But it didn't occur to me to ask him whether
he would therefore count himself in the minyan, or would require ten men
besides him.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy summer
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper